Friday, October 19, 2007

A talent to watch out for!


I don't know if it is because I consciously kept away this year, but I really didn't feel the buzz of fashion week! It just came and went without any major brouhaha. I dropped by the other day to see two completely new designers - I loved Anuj Sharma's origami dresses! The next show was one hour late, so I bunked it and instead walked around the showcase area, where each designer had a boutique-like space.

I chanced upon the booth of a young designer duo, Rahul & Firdos (Rahul Mishra and Samar Firdos). These two are still studying at the National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad, but have already gone places, and will travel even higher, I am sure. From the moment I walked into their booth, Rahul drew my attention to their designs and started talking about their work with refreshing passion and enthusiasm. It was so incredible to hear someone so new and talented speak without a trace of arrogance about introducing new techniques, working with local craftsmen, and creating magic on a very small budget, yet having the guts to forego sales until they get their due profit.

Also at the booth were a bunch of young girls helping out, from both the boy's families, and a gentleman who, as far as I understood, helps them with chikankari work. It was heartwarming to see the support and team effort. But most of all, it was a welcome change from the "I'm too important for you" attitude of fashion week. I hope these boys never lose their humble approach! Definitely a talent to watch out for!!!

I could have bought and worn every single design on display. Not only were the clothes very wearable and yet spelt killer chic (off-white, Indo-Western cuts with beautiful subtle chikankari work on semi see-through fabric, very light, excellently structured to flatter a woman's body at the right places), but their USP was truly amazing - almost no seams!!! Rahul showed me pieces where there was absolutely no stitching on the shoulders, underarms and on the front. It supposedly not only saves tons of fabric, but it helps envelop the body like a glove!

The duo also refuses to use China-imported silks for their other creations.

Photos courtesy nowrunning.com
Rahul & Firdos stuff is available at AZA, at Kemps Corner in Bombay. Definitely worth a look!!! AND your money!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there,
it has been a realy sincere and honest approach at looking at fashion from your side,today no one actualy get to the core of "fashion" which is showcased now a days,something like this actualy misses out onto the overly hiped glamour.
all my best wishes to these enthusiatic young designers who are trying to give indian fashion much more meaning,
then by just doing superficial stuff...
ciao....

Goddess Findings said...

THis is a terrific post on fashion....more more more!!! Will you do more on fashion?? I would love to see fashion on the streets, what people are wearing there....everyday at market etc..... I always imagine the colors of india to be amazing...

Anonymous said...

great to read..that insight from you...
just amazing..thanks...
i am sure in fashion journalism..people are required to learn fashion/design to appreciate it...

Rahul Mishra said...

Dear Mila,
Thanks,
This is Rahul here...
The article is superb..and gave a very good feedback...
I would like to invite you for my showcasing at Lakme Fashion Week on 21st october 5:30pm...
Regards,
Rahul Mishra