Thursday, November 29, 2007

Remains if the day

My spirituality and outlook to life has been challenged way too frequently lately and I wonder why. Because, you see, I believe that everything happens for a reason. And the last two weeks have been like a roller coaster of emotions.

Three people are dead, in just the space of these two weeks...

First, the son of one of our closest friends, almost family. He was coughing, so he went to the chemist with his parents to get cough syrup. He dropped right there... A massive heart failure.

A week later, I found out that a person who has been a constant presence in my life in Bombay, Janet Fine, has succumbed to cancer. She had sworn the few who knew into secrecy. I will remember her as one of the liveliest and most energetic people I have ever known. But most of all, as someone extremely enterprising and full of ideas. Another very rare thing about Janet was that she was so very unselfish about her contacts! If she thought someone could be useful or interesting for someone else, she would do anything to facilitate these two people meeting and being in touch. There were times she has called me out of the blue just to say that something she knows I would love is happening across town, and promptly offering to give me a lift. She also made sure I became a member of American Women of Bombay, which gave a brand new dimension of my life here. I will always be grateful for that, and will always fondly remember her CoHO Saturdays - some of the best spent in my life! I went to her apartment the next morning after I found out, to check on Janet's beloved cats. Looking at her apartment and not having her around was a hard, throat choking experience. The cats looked happy. Which reassured me. I believe animals have a sixth sense. So if they were happy, janet must have been in a better place.

But what really hit me was the way life was just going on...

The same evening, the son of my husband's company's VP, just 17 years old, died in the most tragic accident.

We were both stunned... What was happening around us? Why? What was life trying to tell us? Why so many coincidences.

We went to the hospital where the body was kept, just to see if we can help. The father was crushed. I don't think you EVER recover from anything like this.

The hospital looked terrible. I did not even want to go inside. Everything looked dilapidated and old. There was a stray dog coming in and out as if it was his home. Hospital staff was pacing up and down in dirty uniforms. Some of them were just standing around in lungis. a really old, shabby woman walked into the morgue... A wounded man was brought in by a rickshaw, and unqualified drivers and cops just helped him shuffle into his wheelchair. A prisoner was taken back to jail after treatment. Despite the tubes sticking out of him, he was just put down to lie on the bench of the police van, far from being long enough to let him rest comfortably. And I suddenly realised. That there are high chances I may die in this country, in a hospital like that, surrounded by completely foreign people. I will not even be understanding the language they are talking. I was terrified. And I just wanted to go home, to things I am familiar and comfortable with.

An even scarier thought occured to me. The few christian cemeteries I have seen here were in a complete state of desolation, with garbage dumps right next to them. The thought of cremation terrifies me. I have always been uncomfortable around fire.

The next day, life continued, I drove past movie halls showing mvies these three people will never see; heard songs they will never hear again... Life was going on... Is life really just waiting for death?

5 comments:

Kadri Vunder Fontana said...

Hi Mila,

the blog is absolutely great. but how do you find time to write such wonderful stories? I am very sorry about the tragedy that happened to Mr. Patil. I gave him a call just to let him know that I am there if he needs me. I was very sad to hear these news.

yuour blog makes me remeber all the great things I have seen and done in India and all the great people I have met there. take care and I look forward to reading more about you and gurtaj on your blog.
Kadri

Anonymous said...

Hi Mila, sorry to hear about your last 2 weeks, sounds like it has been awful.
Keep your head up and keep your eyes on the beautful things in our lives - family, sunsets, good food, laughter and love.. thats what we are here to enjoy.
all the best, kyla

Anonymous said...

Hey you got such a beautiful soul to think like this and you seem already to be blessed having a nice family.God bless you! they say only truth in this world is death and they say death is when the soul wakes up from a long sleep and the life it spent seems like a bubble like a dream to it then.

Anonymous said...

mila

( sorry if this post repeats, just typed in lots and lost everything while publishing)

was trawling the net for janet fine, now that there is no other way to look her up. my wife and i were very close friends of her from cairo, where we have been since last 8 years. janet had visited us a few months back, as usual loaded with indian magazines and food for us. she did look frail, and when pestered said she had water retention in lungs and doctors misdiagnosed her etc. but not one word of cancer, which we were to find out only now. my wife anju found a tenant to sublet janets flat here in cairo last week, as requested by janet, and at her building people told us about janets demise. sad, we never took up her invite to bombay, knowing we were anyway going back to india sooner or later and will do so in leisure. feel so bad about it now, not meant to be.
her cat, batal, shares the name of the street in cairo where she found it, i can see it from my house here. and yes,my wife got her job here through janets contact, and anju also used to moonlight for janet, writing for many of her magazines on janets request. a great person, wish she was in this world longer.
if you do have any contacts of her family, do mail it to aniljay@gmail.com. thanks you.

David Raphael Israel said...

Hi Mila,

just now stumbled on this (googling for information about Janet Fine). Like you, I likewise experienced and enjoyed her great gift and enthusiasm for bringing people together; -- just a couple weeks before she passed away, she was on the phone insisting I meet a friend of hers in Baroda (when she learned I was spending time there) and going to some lengths to bring the meeting about. That was a latest example of this admirable and constant trait of hers. Janet's unique version of humanism seemed to flow from deep roots -- and surely it continues on.

Cheers from (these days) Bhopal,
David